Rise of Women in Finance: Female Enrollment Surges in Accounting Courses

Rise of Women in Finance: Female Enrollment Surges in Accounting Courses

By: WE Staff | Friday, 16 June 2023

A recent study by Zell Education, India's leading finance and accounts Ed-tech platform, revealed a remarkable surge in female enrollment in finance and accounting courses. The study highlights a 25% increase in the number of women pursuing these courses, showcasing a positive shift in the gender dynamics within the field. This transition can be attributed to various factors, including the rising honour of economic literacy among ladies and concerted efforts to bridge the gender gap in traditionally male-dominated sectors.

One of the key drivers behind this surge is the increasing awareness among women about the importance of financial literacy and the opportunities it presents. With growing recognition of the need to enhance their knowledge and skills in finance and accounting, more women are seeking educational avenues to empower themselves in this domain. Additionally, ongoing initiatives and campaigns promoting women's participation in these fields have contributed to this upward trend.

The amenity and flexibility offered by ed-tech platforms have played a pivotal role in attracting more female students. Zell Education's study showcased an impressive 43% enrollment rate among women, marking a significant increase compared to the modest 15% growth observed in 2021. Moreover, the demand for Finance & Accounting courses experienced a substantial growth of 40% in 2022, underscoring the rising popularity of these subjects among both genders.

The demographic breakdown of female learners reveals that approximately 75% of them hail from metropolitan areas, while the remaining 25% come from Tier II and III towns. This indicates a growing interest in education and improved accessibility to learning platforms in smaller urban centres. Factors such as enhanced educational facilities, heightened career awareness, and the availability of online learning options have contributed to this positive trend.

Mr Anant Bengani, Director & Co-Founder of Zell Education, expressed enthusiasm about the progress made in diminishing gender gaps, stating, "As the awareness about financial literacy grows, along with a significant percentage of women now consciously investing in their careers and future, it is exciting to see a massive surge of female students creating a dent in traditionally male-dominated education fields and consequently industries." He further emphasized the potential for continued growth in these courses, citing the ongoing economic uncertainties, market volatility, and financial crises that highlight the need for individuals to develop skills to navigate complex financial landscapes.

The male-to-female ratio for finance and accounting courses stands at approximately 65:35, indicating a positive trend toward greater gender parity in the field. The top five courses in high demand for both genders include ACCA, CFA, US CPA, US CMA, and Diploma in IFRS, showcasing the diverse range of options available to students.

Founded in 2015, Zell Education has been at the forefront of bridging the gap between educational excellence and applicable skill development. As a leading institute focused on preparing students for success in finance and accounting, Zell Education continues to empower aspiring professionals with the necessary knowledge and skills to excel in today's competitive world.

The significant increase in female enrollment in finance and accounting courses in India signifies progress and opportunities for women in the field. It is a positive step toward achieving gender equality and promoting women's empowerment in the finance and accounting sectors.